You must be logged in to post Login Register

Register? | Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

A "Protein Bar" Is Actually a Carb
Read original blog post

UserPost

5:19 pm
March 17, 2012

Darrin

Admin

posts 341

I recently wrote about how most yogurt should be thought of as a carb, not a protein.

pic: Protein Bars Are Mostly Carbs
Protein Bars Are Mostly Carbs

Well, would you believe the same holds true for so-called "protein bars"?

Most protein bars are really only about 30% protein!  50% is carbs and 20% is fat.

So that makes protein bars essentially "candy bars with some protein".

Let's look at some labels:

PowerBar ProteinPlus:  23g protein BUT 39g carb and 6g fat.  Remembering that fat has 9 kcal/g and protein and carbs each have 4 kcal/g, that puts it at about 52% carbs, 30% protein, and 18% fat.

Detour "Low Sugar" Whey Protein Bar:  30g protein BUT 33g carb and 10g fat.  That translates to 39% carb, 35% protein, and 26% fat.  Note that this is the "low sugar" version which is still mostly carbs and only 1/3 protein.

I could go on and on but I'll leave you by repeating the phrase I use with my kids:  "Protein bars are fine as a treat, but think of them as candy bars with protein."

If you want to plan for the worst, keep protein powder, a shaker bottle, and a bottled water in your car.  That's $5 – cheaper than 2" candy bars with protein" and way better for you.  (I'd suggest casein protein if you have the option.)

Two other things to watch for:

a) soy-based protein

b) "energy" bars, where protein is even lower – like 10%!  The packages look the same but these are really just candy bars

Look, I'm a practical guy.  There are times when you are "stranded" or totally rushed and can't get real food.  Or maybe on a long flight you get one to stow and eat after 3 hrs.  For most of you, this is once or twice a year but even the busiest of you shouldn't be eating these things more than once a month.  How serious are you about your fitness?  If you are, then you'll plan ahead and never be caught having to resort to "candy bars with protein".

Read original blog post

10:59 pm
March 17, 2012

Cameron

Greensboro, NC

posts 293

My fellow employees HATE when members ask me "What's good" and i point out all the crap and say… "none of this."  I might recommend a CLIFF bar for pre-workout or something, but protein-wise… pretty much nothing sold in a gym makes the cut.

9:17 am
June 12, 2012

shellydisuja

posts 10

Post edited 9:20 am – June 12, 2012 by Darrin

In my opinion, if we use natural protein, then it is better for body. Body become habitual of taking these supplements and once you stop the supplements then it is not good for your health.

9:22 am
June 12, 2012

Darrin

Admin

posts 341

Sorry shellydisuja, but there simply isn't evidence to support your position.  There are no side effects to your health if you later stop taking supplements like protein powder, creatine, multivitamins, etc.  As long as you are getting those from food, you can stop using supplements and be totally fine.

12:20 am
December 20, 2013

Ricky

posts 4

Post edited 12:34 am – December 21, 2013 by Ricky

This is true that sometime supplements cause health problems so if you will stop using supplements then you will be fine soon. 

lakecountybootcamps gym

No Tags

About the World Fitness Network Forum

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1
Forums: 9
Topics: 218

Membership:

There are 1536 Members
There has been 1 Guest

There is 1 Admin

Top Posters:

Cameron – 293
gregsfc – 145
truparad0x – 25
gene – 24
shanidev – 20
commonryan – 19

Recent New Members: inwithchris, ForeverAnAthlete, williamdolas26, juice monkey, shauna, Murphyd

Administrators: Darrin (341 Posts)

Be Sociable, Share!